Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Update on my Mom

It has been a very long time since we blogged, and from the previous blog, you know why.  After spending all spring, summer, and fall at home with my family, I lost my mom on October 12th.  Anyone who has lost someone you love knows that feeling of heartbreak.  You actually feel a pain in your chest as if your heart truly has broken. 

My Mom and Dad on her 77th birthday.  She would be gone less than 3 weeks later.

I have so many things to be grateful for:

* First and foremost I am so grateful to God for sending his son, Jesus, to die on the cross for our sins and for rising from the grave having victory over death and then offering us all the free gift of salvation.  I am thankful my mom had accepted that free gift and could call Jesus her Lord and Savior, just as I have, so I have the peace of knowing I will see her again someday. 
*I am thankful that I was able to spend so much time with Mom and was “home” when she passed. 
*I am grateful for family.  There are five kids in our family and we are all believers in Christ, as is my dad and my husband, Clark. 
Denise, Sandra, Mom (without her wig), Sheryl, Debbie and our "baby brother", John.
My family is close and through this time with our mom we were strong for each other.  We spent more time together than before because we never knew when our get-togethers would be our last.  There were times we would play cards and Mom would join us with enough strength to enjoy a game or two.  Then there were times when we sat around the living room talking while Mom sat in her recliner listening but too tired and weak to say much more than, “I am listening”.

Sandra and Sheryl sneaking Mom a kiss!


*I am grateful for my family to send us on our way to resume our travels with their blessing.  I have had such mixed feelings of leaving but they all tried to make it easier for me. 
*I am grateful to Clark for being so supportive through it all.  He encouraged me to spend as much time with family as possible and took me anywhere I needed to go.  God truly blessed me with Clark for a husband.
I would like to close this blog with something one of my sisters, Debbie, wrote.  She spoke for us all when she wrote her thoughts.


Thank You, God, For The Time You Gave Us With Our Mom
It has been about 16 months since Mom was first diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia.
The leukemia had progressed so quickly Mom was admitted to the hospital. While she was there, the doctor told us, “Some people never go home.” We asked You for more time and You answered our prayer. For that, we are thankful.
When they started Mom on chemo, we were told if the chemo didn’t work she would have 3 to 4 weeks to live.  We asked You for more time and You said yes. For that, we are thankful.
“If the chemo works,” the doctor told us, “she will probably have 6 to 8 months.”  Once again, we begged for more time - one more anniversary and birthday, the birth of another great-grandchild, another Thanksgiving. Please, God, one more Christmas.
You gave us all of that and more, more than we could ever ask or think (Ephesians 3:20), and, again, we are so thankful.
You decided now it was time to take Mom home to be with You.
We won’t have to ask for more time ever again because we know that someday, when we go to Heaven and see our Savior and our mom, we will be there with them for eternity. And for that, God, we are extremely thankful.

Thanks to all of you for your prayer support for our family.  Believe me when I say we could feel God’s love through it all as He answered your prayers for us.  God bless you all.