Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Mexico!

I went to Mexico yesterday with a group of friends.  Clark was not able to go because he is suffering from a bout of gout.  

I know I went to Mexico as a child with my parents on vacation' but I do not really remember much about it other than my sister, Denise, bought an Indian blanket there.  I will admit I was pretty excited to be going and not the least bit nervous or scared.  But, I was cautious and stayed with friends.

We parked on the US side and walked over. You have to put 50 cents in the turnstile to cross the bridge over the Rio Grande River into Mexico.




While you are crossing, there are people under the bridge on the Mexico side of the river begging for money.  Kids and adults both.  It was so sad.  It made be feel awful to be tossing coins down to them.  I felt so small, like as if tossing bread crumbs to the birds.  Not a good feeling and yet, I couldn't NOT give them something.  One little girl came up to me on the streets at the end of the day when we were getting ready to leave.  She was 3 or 4 years old, I am guessing.  She didn't speak; she just simply held her hand a little ways out from her body with it cupped for coins.  I gave her a dollar bill because that is what happened to be in my pocket.  Boy did her face light up as she ran back to her mom.  I didn't take any pictures of any of that because I felt like that would be wrong.  




Can you believe it was December 12th and I am in light-weight capris and flip-flops?  It was a beautiful day - a bit overcast but not too hot or humid.

We ate lunch at the Red Snapper.  



I had the taco plate for $4.99.  It had 4 tacos with beans and rice.  It was yummy!  I didn't know what to do with my leftovers because Clark always eats them and he wasn't there!  I just left them behind.

They had lights made out of sombreros and had murals painted on the walls. It was a pretty cool place.




I bought a few items but didn't go crazy.  It was so weird to be walking down the street with all of these people calling out to you to buy their stuff.  




While we were there we got an extra treat.  The school kids were doing a parade for Our Lady of Guadalupe.





It cost 30 cents to cross back over or $4.00 in pesos.  I was careful to put my money in the correct slot.  We went through customs without any excitement at all.  I really enjoyed the day there and am looking forward to taking Clark over when he is better.