Pages

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Ladies Auxiliary

Before I start, I wanted to post a weather update.  I have not been in the pool for several days as it has been too overcast.  I, in fact, wore jeans yesterday.  We have even had some rain.  The temps have been in the 60s with lots of clouds and lots of humidity.  Not heaven, but still better than Kansas at this time!

Ok...Ladies Auxiliary... For those of you who know me well, you are probably wondering what I am doing here among a group of women making quilts since I don't sew and therefore have never made a quilt in my life.  Well, a few weeks ago, one of the ladies asked if I would be interested in joining.  She said they make quilts for needy families for Christmas and they were way behind in getting them completed on time.  I told her I would be more of a hindrance than a help since I don't sew.  She said they could still use me in other areas, so I decided to give it a try.



They taught me how to tie the quilts.  I figured I could handle that, who can't time a knot?
 I do it all of the time when trying to tie my shoes (those velcro shoes are tempting)!  




I have helped tie several quilts now and they haven't kicked me out yet!





No, I am not confused, I have finished my part and am watching and waiting.

We have finished and are now removing the quilt from the frame.




While I am doing this, Clark is laying out with the ladies!



























Laying out quilts, that is!



They LOVE having a man in their group.  They have him doing all the lifting and lugging, He gets out the sewing machines, tubs full of material, the quilt frame, tables, etc. and puts them all way again at the end of club time.  As a reward for all of his hard work, he gets to help lay out the quilts.  He really enjoys that part because he feels like it is artistic when they get to select the squares by color and design and lay then out into a pattern that is pleasing to the eye.

The club really has this down to an art.  They have a group of women who cut the squares; a group who lays them out; a group who pins on the batting and the backs; a group who sews the squares together and then puts a hem around the edges; and a group who ties the quilts together. It works like a well-oiled machine from what I can see.

We tied the last quilt of the year yesterday.  Next week, we will shop for clothes and toys and then wrap and deliver everything to needy families.  Then, after the first of the year, it all begins again in preparation of Christmas 2015!