Pages

Friday, April 18, 2014

Heading Back Toward Kansas

I am sorry I have not updated my blog in quite some time.  I started on some new medicine that has made me feel pretty sick the last two weeks but I am finally, evidently, adjusting to it because I am feeling myself again. 

We left the Escapees Park in Livingston on April 7th and headed to Nacogdoches – about an hour from there – a really long travel day!  We were originally headed to Topeka for a funeral but I just did not feel well enough to travel that far, so that is as far as we got.

 We stayed at Shady Pines RV Park right off of Highway 59.  Their weekly price was $100.00 with full hookups so we stayed a week.  The spots were extremely close together and not a park you’d want to be in if you planned to spend any time sitting around outdoors because of the closeness of the rigs. Also, being so close to the highway there was a lot of noise. It worked for us though, because for the most part, I slept the majority of the time we were there. No TV stations to speak of using the antenna either, so we read a lot, which is how we spend most of our free time anyway.  Clark is not a big TV watcher and we both love to read.































The park was located right behind CC’s Smokehouse.  In fact, that is where you pay for your spot.  We got there at lunch time so we decided to eat lunch there since we were there anyway to pay.  They serve what they called a Cowboy steak.   It was a 10 oz sirloin which was pretty thin so quite large in diameter.  They served it on wax paper right on a tray and that was your plate with your fries right alongside.  It looked so odd to see people cutting a steak on a plastic serving tray!  But I am telling you, that place was jam-packed with men in work trucks.  We talked to one guy who said whenever he is working in the area he always plans his routes to be around CC’s for lunch.  It was a busy place the whole time we were there.  Clark ate a smothered hamburger steak with mushrooms, onions, and brown gravy.  He thought it was pretty darn tasty, but I am not sure he enjoyed as much as he could have had he not been looking at all of those cowboy steaks!  You know, the grass is always greener.  We did plan to go back there so he could get one but we never made it. 




As I said, we didn't do much since I didn't feel well but we did make it over to their azalea garden one day. The azaleas were in bloom and there were paths all through the garden.  It was very pretty.  I love azaleas.  I even tried growing one a long time ago but it was just too cold in our neck of the woods.   

































We saw a lot of beautiful flowers on our trip with all of the wild flowers that can be found in Texas.  The wisteria blooms are very pretty but the plant itself is spindly and not all that to look at. 



















And of course there are those Texas blue bonnets growing wild.


















 In addition, we were in the Piney Woods of Texas so there were pine trees everywhere.



Overall, a very pretty spring time trip!